Saturday, April 1, 2017

Blowing out eggs

We used chicken eggs to practice 
The bowl used to catch insides. (kinda gross) 
       A few weeks ago, while working on my bird display case, and kit I learned about egg identification, birds, and blowing out eggs. Since I was learning about birds this peaked my interest as I was used to learning more about a bird’s behavior as oppose to learning how to identify a bird's egg and how to preserve the egg shell. 

Blowing out an egg 
Egg blowing is used when you want to perverse a bird's shell for something like display purposes. We obviously were new at this and wanted to be safe so we used store bought chicken eggs. There are instructions you can closely follow online if you want to try this out for yourself at home. However, essentially all you do is puncture two holes at the bottom/top of the shell making sure one is bigger than the other then you blow through the egg. This forces the inside of the egg to drain leaving the shell intact. It is very intriguing, but since I am rather squeamish I found myself slightly disgusted, but nonetheless intrigued. When I tried this the aspect I had trouble was with how durable the shell is. Puncturing the hole as well as holding it I felt myself being overly cautious since I might break the shell, but that was the only thing I was cautious of. Overall it was a very interesting activity and a great learning experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment