Sunday, February 12, 2017

Initial step: Brainstorming (Birds and owls)


  Since there can be two kits and one of them was going to be about animal fur I wanted to figure out another idea for the second one. After meeting Johnathan I had a better understanding of what to put in these kits, and activities involved in them. I had a meeting with another educator, Bobbie Snead, and I talked to her about my idea with owls.
Close to what I first envisioned with how different birds have different feather types

We both concluded that there might not be many activities to put in the kit that would meet the criteria, and thought about how we could make an owl display work. Finally, we decided to have the display and the kit be about birds with a section devoted to owls. When talking to an educator who specializes in a certain topic I learned so much. Bobbie who specializes in owls helped me better understand how to create a kit that could be beneficial to kids learning it, as well as incorporate important and interesting information about birds and owls.
There will be a post more specifically about my objectives I want from each kit, and what is in each kit. Right now, though the fur kit is little bit less crafty and more observations, and questions. This bird/owl kit has a bit more arts and crafts as well as observation about birds. For example, there will be an activity talking about the feathers of birds, and owls where the kids can touch the feathers. The crafty part is an activity where the kids have an option to create a bird nest. Additionally, there is a topic which has the kids observe the egg shape. I want the kits to be somewhat different in the activities so I can learn what works well and what needs more improvement.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment